TRISTAN C. ROBINSON
TEXAS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
Fort Worth, Texas
Juris Doctor, May 2012
Candidate for Intellectual Property Certificate
- Trademark Prosecution
- Trademark applications from start to finish.
- Conduct searches using the USPTO.gov website for conflicting TMs.
- Prepared material for Law School’s real IP dispute involving CLIP logo (Material Available)
- Drafted Office Action Responses (samples available)
- Trademarks & Unfair Competition
- General knowledge of patent prosecution process
- Intellectual Property Law Survey
- Information Society (ACTA – International IP rights)
- Internet Law
- International Intellectual Property Licensing (Japan)
- IP rights / dispute resolution
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
Tokyo, Japan Campus, Spring 2011
TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY
San Marcos, Texas
Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications – Public Relations, 2009
- Dean’s List (Various)
- Sigma Alpha Lambda, National Honors & Leadership Fraternity
- The ethical pursuit of intellectual property rights for individuals as well as small and large businesses.
- Negotiation of international contracts and international intellectual property licenses.
- Zealous protection of rights holders in trademark, copyright, and patent disputes.
LAW OFFICES OF TRISTAN C. ROBINSON, P.L.L.C.
Owner and Managing Attorney, December 2013 – Present, Spring, Texas
- Trademark Prosecution – Assisting clients with packaging their valuable brand from “Knock-out” search to registration with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Management and counseling on crucial deadlines and ultimate policing of brand in interstate commerce.
- Trademark Litigation – Defending clients’ brand in multistate litigation—California, New York, Illinois, and Texas—from the initiation of infringement claims to ultimate settlement or disposition in Federal Court.
- Copyright Registration and Consultation – Online registration and file management with United States Copyright Office. Counseling clients on defense of their creativity in various media—musical compositions, sound recordings, literature, and pictographic works—and offering education on affordable means to self-help with the United States Copyright Office.
- Copyright Infringement Defense Litigation – Defending clients from the extortion tactics of Copyright “Trolling” from receipt of subpoena as an anonymous “Doe” to ultimate settlement or resolution of matter based on alleged illegal downloading or infringing behavior. Texas Counsel to Antonelli Law Ltd., one of nation’s top firms for BitTorrent and P2P file sharing cases—representative cases include defending Does against Plaintiffs such as Malibu Media, ME2, September Productions, Cell Film Holdings, Dallas Buyers Club, LHF Productions, CEG-TEK, and more.
- Non-disclosure Agreement Drafting – Drafting “air-tight” nondisclosure agreements from both a unilateral and bilateral needs-based perspective to ensure confidentiality of sensitive information and intellectual property.
- Musician Defense, Registration, Representation and Agency – Assisting musicians, sound engineers, and independent publishing and record labels at varying degrees of success in the industry with all aspects of business structure and defense of exposure of their intellectual property. Registration and counseling pertaining to the “song” versus the “sound recording”, band trademarks, management agreements, soliciting material to major labels where appropriate, and negotiation of the “360” contract on behalf the artist.
- Video Game Advocacy, Counseling, Management and Producing – Managing workload for independent to mid-size game development studios, including performing the basic “producer” functionalities and community outreach aspects of the project. Drafting of EULAs, NDAs, Privacy and Use Agreements, and all other strategic documents to safeguard and protect the massive “bundle of rights” required for the project.
- Film and Television: Studio and Talent Representation – Ground up planning for myriad independent film production studios in the areas of fitness and reality television—business structure set up, operating agreements, tax planning, and restoration of rights with State of Texas. Negotiation of “attachment” agreements on behalf reality television talent with extraordinary success rate on preserving negotiable rights for the generally unseen “Network Agreement”.
- YouTube and Twitch Broadcaster Defense – Defending various online broadcasters from alleged infringing behavior using the DMCA and notice and takedown laws.
- Author and Literature Counsel – Defending clients from new digital “eBook” based commerce model extortion agenda and drafting demand material successful in removing sale of unauthorized infringing works.
- Indigent Artist Counseling – Offering pro bono consultation services to indigent artists via volunteer services to Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts (“TALA”).
- Expert Witnesses – direct correspondence with and administrative role pertaining to coordinating fees and roles of experts for clients’ cases.
- Client Management – met with capital murder clientele on a weekly basis and dealt with managing their expectations and handling sensitive personalities when death is a potential outcome of the case.
- Case Briefing – sorted through voluminous offense reports and briefed the roles of all parties involved; performed background checks on both civilian and law enforcement witnesses. Organized voluminous documents into navigable material to be used at trial.
- Open Records – performed various levels of open records requests with respect to law enforcement witnesses and otherwise (obtained TCLEOSE records, Texas Medical Board open record information for experts, and personnel files for various law enforcement personnel). Handled all correspondence with county and district attorneys regarding any issues that arose from same.
- Evidence Management – Briefed observations on DWI videos, reviewed jail letters and tapes of phone calls made by clients.
- Active Warrant Checks – Responsible for review of a multiple clients’ pending warrant status.
- Expunctions – Dealt with preparation of expunctions.
- Discovery – Prepared ADA’s responses to discovery requests by defense and gained experience in information that should / should not be withheld.
- Voir Dire – Assisted in jury selection process and organization of juror questionnaires.
- Research – Researched various complex legal issues in preparation for trial.
- Evidence Review – Dealt with numerous jail calls and assisted ADA in identifying potentially incriminating information elicited from same.
- Member, State Bar of Texas, 2013-Present
- Member, State Bar of Texas Intellectual Property Law Section, 2013-Present
- Member, State Bar of Texas Sports and Entertainment Law Section, 2013-Present
- Council, State Bar of Texas Sports and Entertainment Law Section, 2016-17
- Secretary, State Bar of Texas Sports and Entertainment Law Section, 2018-Present
- Member, American Bar Association (“ABA”) 2009-2012
- Member, TWU Law Intellectual Property Law Association (“IPLA”) 2010-2012
- Grand Master of Ceremonies, Kappa Sigma Fraternity, 2004-2008
- “How to Become an Entertainment Lawyer” – October 26, 2016 – St. Mary’s University School of Law – panelist
- “Copyright Fundamentals for Musicians” – July 16, 2016 – Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts – solo presentation by Tristan C. Robinson
Guardianships, Wills and Probate Law
Certified Texas Ad Litem in Guardianship and Heirship proceedings in probate court. Routine drafting of wills and other testamentary documents. Representation of various wards in counties of Harris and Montgomery.
Heavily experienced Family Litigator working various cases from inception to conclusion, including numerous Suits Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCRs), Divorces, Adult Adoptions, and others. Trial experience at all stages of Family Lawsuits.
LAW OFFICES OF STEPHEN D. JACKSON & ASSOCIATES
Law Clerk and Associate Attorney, October 2012 – November 2013, Conroe, Texas
Criminal Law: Capital Murder Experience
Trial preparation for defense in two high profile capital murder cases.
Criminal Law: Felony and Misdemeanor Experience
Case preparation for various felony and misdemeanor cases.
Family Law and Probate Experience
Involved in preparation of CPS, probate, and Family Law issues as needed.
Dealt with sensitivities of clients who had families and finances at stake.
Diligent management of all personal billable hours worked.
DALLAS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
Intern, January 2012 – May 2012, Dallas, Texas
Criminal Law: Felony Family Violence Experience
Trial preparation of felony family violence cases for Assistant District Attorney.
DALLAS COUNTY PUBLIC DEFENDER’S OFFICE
Intern, September 2011 – January 2012 Dallas, Texas
Criminal Law: Misdemeanor Family Violence Experience
Assisted Public Defender(s) with client interviews, filing court documents, and discovery process.
Texas State Bar – Admitted June 6, 2013
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas – Admitted March 14, 2016